Have you ever tried a dish after being skeptical for so long, only to have it blow your mind by how good it is? This is how I feel about coconut curry. I first tried coconut curry a few years ago and I was instantly hooked. Rich, creamy, tangy and spicy. What more could you ask for? Since then, I have made countless versions of this recipe always experimenting with the seasonings, adding in different things, and finally came up with this version, which I find to be pretty darn perfect.
The red curry paste is really what makes it. Red chilies, garlic, ginger, lemongrass, and spices. Simple but PACKED with flavour. Then comes the coconut milk which creates a rich, creamy sauce. It is however really important to balance out the richness by adding in acidity. In this case, I use a combination of fresh lime juice and rice vinegar. You might be surprised by this, but I actually add in a bit of sugar at the end. Even though the coconut milk makes the curry a bit sweet, the addition of raw sugar really amps up the flavours and I promise you, you won't taste any added sweetness in the final dish.
The thing I love about this curry is that it comes together pretty quickly. With only about 20 minutes cooking time, you get to create thing incredibly flavourful (and impressive) dish. Fuss-free, super weeknight-able, but also great for a dinner party. I really enjoy serving this family style since I find it makes dinner time more enjoyable. Everyone gets a small bowl of rice and the curry is placed in a large bowl in the center of the table. Scoop some over your rice and enjoy!
VEGGIE-PACKED COCONUT RED CURRY
Prep time: 20 minutes Cook time: 20 minutes Servings: 4
1 tbsp coconut oil
1 large clove of garlic, finely minced
1/2" piece of ginger, peeled & finely minced
1/2 of a small red onion, sliced
3 tbsp red curry paste (I prefer the brand Thai Kitchen)
1 400ml can of coconut milk
1/2 cup of vegetable broth
1-1/2 cups of cauliflower florets
1 cup of cubed sweet potato (1/2" cubes)
1/2 of a small red bell pepper, cut into strips
1 small zucchini, cut into rounds
The kernels from 1 ear of corn
1 tbsp lime juice
1 tsp rice vinegar
1 tsp raw sugar
1/2 tsp of salt
1 tbsp of corn starch
To serve (optional):
Cherry tomatoes, halved
1. Place a large pot on medium heat, add 1 tbsp of coconut oil.
2. Once the pot is hot, add in red onion and sautée for a few minutes until soft.
3. Add garlic & ginger and sautée for 2 minutes.
4. Add cauliflower, sweet potato, red curry paste, coconut milk & vegetable broth. Stir until everything is well combined & the red curry paste is fully dissolved in the coconut milk. Cover with a lid & simmer for 10 minutes.
5. Once potatoes & cauliflower are tender, add in the corn, zucchini, red bell pepper, lime juice, rice vinegar, sugar & salt. Mix well to incorporate, cover with lid & simmer for 5 minutes.
6. In a small bowl, mix corn starch with 4 tbsp of water. Add this mixture to the curry, stirring well to incorporate. Simmer for 2 minutes until curry has thickened a bit.
7. Split the curry among four bowls or serve family style. Top with garnishes, but don't skimp on the tomatoes! They add a hint of freshness & acidity in the creamy, rich curry. Enjoy on its own or with rice.