Updated: Dec 17, 2019
I know it may seem like fall is fast approaching and as much as I am excited for the changing colours & sweater weather, I am still desperately clinging onto summer for as long as I can, in every way possible. That usually means eating all the fresh, seasonal produce I can get my hands on! This year, I've been eating and cooking with peaches like there is no tomorrow.
In come these tostadas. Tostadas are kind of like an open-faced taco served on a flat, crispy corn tortilla, usually topped with refried beans, different types of meat & other fresh toppings like avocado or pickled red onion. While these black bean tostadas are far from traditional, I think I have found a winning combination of flavours while making them entirely plant-based, gluten-free and healthy!
Well seasoned black beans are blended and whipped in a food processor making them super creamy & light. But the star of the show is definitely the salsa. Juicy peaches, fresh corn and avocado pair perfectly with the savoury black beans.
Another thing I love about these tostadas is that you can prepare the different components ahead of time and simply assemble them when you are ready to serve. This means no slaving over the stove while you're trying to entertain guests, making these black bean tostadas the perfect summer appetizer. Enjoy!
BLACK BEAN TOSTADAS WITH PEACH, CORN & AVOCADO SALSA
Prep time: 45 minutes Cook time: 15 minutes Servings: 10 tostadas
For the salsa:
2 ears of corn
1 1/2 cups of diced peaches
1 avocado, diced
1/2 cup of finely diced red onion
1/4 cup of chopped cilantro
1.5 tablespoons of fresh lime juice
3/4 of a teaspoon of salt
For the beans:
1 can of black beans, drained and rinsed
1 tablespoon of lime juice
3/4 teaspoon of salt
2 teaspoons of chili powder
1/2 teaspoon of garlic powder
1/4 cup of warm water
For the tostadas:
10 yellow corn tortillas
1-2 tablespoons of olive oil
1. Preheat the oven at 350 degrees.
2. Cook the corn by boiling in a large pot of water for about 5 minutes. Drain and rinse under cold water, setting aside to cool while you prepare the rest of the ingredients.
3. To make the black bean spread, combine the black beans, lime juice, spices & salt in a food processor. Blend until you get a smooth paste, stopping to scrape down the sides to make sure everything gets evenly incorporated.
4. Once the mixture is smooth, it will be quite thick. With the food processor on low, slowly pour in the warm water. I like to start by pouring just half and checking every so often to make sure I get the desired consistency.
5. Once the mixture looks easily spreadable, turn the food processor on high for about 1 minute. This will incorporate more air in the mixture, making it light & creamy. Taste and adjust for seasoning.
6. At this point the corn should be cool enough to work with. Remove the kernels from the cob and place them in a large bowl. Add in the peaches, avocado, onion, cilantro, lime juice and salt. Mix well to combine and set aside.
7. Place the tortillas on a baking sheet and brush each side liberally with olive oil. Place in the oven and cook for 3-4 minutes before flipping and cooking for another 1-2 minutes. You might have to do this in batches. Be careful! Every oven is different, so it's best to keep an eye on the tortillas while they are cooking so that you make sure that you don't burn them. They cook super quickly.
8. Once the tortillas are nice and crispy let them cool for a few minutes and transfer them to a nice serving plate. Spread about 2 tablespoons of the black bean spread on each tostada and top with the salsa. Serve to your friends and enjoy!